Subject: Re: hier(7) silent on pkg documentation
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2003 16:32:54
[ On Thursday, November 6, 2003 at 03:19:11 (-0500), James K. Lowden wrote: ]
> Subject: hier(7) silent on pkg documentation
>
> OK, I'm mad.  In both senses.
>
> Am I the only person who thinks it's no fun to guess which rock pkg_add
> hid the documentation for <packagename>?  Let's see:
>
> /usr/pkg/share/<pkg>
> /usr/pkg/share/doc/<pkg>
> /usr/pkg/share/doc/html/<pkg>

It wouldn't be quite so bad if $PREFIX/share was always the prefix to
documentation, but it's not.  ($PREFIX/man, $PREFIX/info, to name just
the most obvious two exceptions)

The other problem is of course that stupid injection of "/html".  It
should not be done!

All non-manual page documentation should go uniformly into:

	$PREFIX/share/doc/$PKGNAME

unless there's just one or two (and no more) files, in which case it
should be simply:

	$PREFIX/share/doc/${PKGNAME}-README

or whatever (i.e. no sub-directory unless it really helps).

> /usr/X11R6/share/<pkg>
> /usr/X11R6/share/doc/<pkg>
> /usr/X11R6/share/games/<pkg>

Those are a non-issue.  Use xpkgwedge  ;-)

> I'd like to bring some rationality to this, starting with hier(7), so
> we're all on the same page, so to speak.

Personally I think hier(7) should be entirely silent on /usr/pkg, save
for this one sentence:

	/usr/pkg	- mirrors the structure of /usr with the
			  addition of /etc as /usr/pkg/etc.

That means moving $PREFIX/man and $PREFIX/info into $PREFIX/share, for a
start.

--
						Greg A. Woods