Subject: Re: a pkgtools/system-links and -nostdinc, -nostdlib for pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/03/2003 14:33:52
[ On Sunday, November 2, 2003 at 06:49:28 (+0000), Johnny C. Lam wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: aalib-x11 need curses?, SDL build failed, simple fix included here
>
> If you're running with LOCALBASE=/usr, I think you're probably going
> to run into this situation many more times.  Buildlink won't stop
> GNU configure scripts from finding libraries and headers not in the
> .buildlink directory because they'll all be readily available in
> /usr/lib.  I don't really have a solution for this in mind yet.  I
> think it may be possible to create some sort of pkgtools/system-links
> package that has system libraries and headers (analogous to x11-links
> and X11R6 libs and headers) and force the compiler/linker to be passed
> "-nostdinc" and "-nostdlib".

That sounds like a very cool idea!

I briefly considered something similar once upon a time, but I think
that was way before buildlink2 came along and so it would have been an
exceedingly daunting task to do it while still trying to stay reasonably
compatible with the "official" pkgsrc.  I simply forgot about it after
that, even when x11-links should have reminded me!  :-)

Currently what I do to attempt to foil the unwanted smarts of configure
et al is first build on a test system with LOCALBASE=/usr/pkg and then I
build on a second test system with LOCALBASE=/usr and then I do some
very ad hoc manual tests to see if the results are "the same".

>  If anyone else wants to pursue
> this idea and would like some guidance, please send me private email.

I can definitely help with something like that!  ;-)

--
						Greg A. Woods