Subject: Re: libiconv/buildlink2.mk "public" variable
To: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/31/2003 11:20:12
	From:  Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
	Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:11:23 -0500

> It's been sugested that perhaps the _USE_ICONV variable set in the
> libiconv buildlink2.mk file should maybe be changed to or set aan
> additional variable, USE_GNU_ICONV, so that packages such as glib2
> that have some special arguments for configure that are needed when
> using libiconv instead of the native iconv can do things like:
>
> .if defined(USE_GNU_ICONV)
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--with-iconv=gnu
> .endif
>
> Any comments on this?

Actually the suggestion was USING_GNU_ICONV, but I didn't really like that name.

There is already a USE_GNU_ICONV for when you want to override the platform
default and say that you _must_ use the gnu libiconv package.

What we need is something that tells us that we have decided to actually use
the libiconv package.  ie that either USE_GNU_ICONV=yes *or* using the package
is the default for the platform.  This is what the _USE_ICONV variable
currently does.

cheers
mark