Subject: HTTP support for pkg_add(1)
To: None <,>
From: Thomas Klausner <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/30/2003 09:39:17

Some time ago, I added support for getting packages via HTTP to
pkg_add.  The pkgsrc version has now been synced (thanks, Johnny!)
so here's the formal announcement :)

With the latest pkg_add from pkgsrc or -current, you can
or add to your PKG_PATH environment variable,
and installing packages via HTTP should now run as transparently
as installing them via ftp previously was.

Visiting should return a directory style
listing, but handcrafted HTML should also be ok, as long as there
are no paths in the filenames -- those are stripped.

I've tested it with Apache and bozohttpd.

If you find problems, please use send-pr(1).