Subject: Re: flash plugins for many browsers
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/30/2003 01:07:05
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:03:37 -0800 (PST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> Which needs work. It depends on suse_compat, suse_x11 and
> MozillaFirebird-bin which are not needed on some systems running pkgsrc.
>
> And it installs to lib/MozillaFirebird-linux/plugins which is wrong.
>
> I think I suggested months ago to have one location for all these
> Netscape-style plugins and then have symlinks from each different browser
> as desired.
>
> Also, why in different directories (graphics vs. www)?
>
> > In addition to above, customizable jumbo packages make it
> > hard to build binary packages.  Even if a package is
> > customizable, a binary package is built with one particular
> > configuration, and it is not apperant on the binary package
> > itself.
>
> I agree. But they can be cleaned up and used like Makefile.common so other
> packages can be made which are re-using most of the same.
>
> Like www/MozillaFirebird-bin-flash and graphics/moz-bin-flash both use a
> Macromedia install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz file and both install
> flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so files.

You are right, because I had getting same problems when using
graphics/moz-mplayer with MozillaFirebird, it depends on Mozilla, but it can
be used on others browsers as well.

A common Makefile could be the right way to go (creating symlinks or something),
IMHO.

Cheers,
--
Juan RP <juan AT xtraeme DOT UnixBSD DOT org>