Subject: does it matter to have unused *.a libs in a package?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2003 11:35:56
Packages.txt says in the "Shared libraries - libtool" section: "In your
PLIST, include all of the .a, .la, and so, .so.major and .so.major.minor
files ..."

What about .a files that aren't used?

For example, my scribus-1.1.1 package using LIBTOOL_OVERRIDE now adds:
lib/scribus/libs/libabout.a, libpreferences.a, libpostscript.a, and so on.
As far as I know, no other software would use these scribus-specific
library archives.

Does it matter?

Or should I patch this scribus so libtool doesn't build and install the .a
libraries? (If so, any hints on a libtool option?)

Thank you,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. At first I didn't use LIBTOOL_OVERRIDE under NetBSD, but I saw on a
Linux build that the .so version numbers became different.