Subject: Re: commit message
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2003 10:02:01
On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:18:15AM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > > 	it is suggested/enforced that pkgsrc commit meesage should include
> > > 	changelog from the original package.  could we remove the requirement?
> > > 	the policy has been making bad sideeffects to our PR database -
> > > 	when original changelog includes "PR [0-9]*", the pkgsrc commit message
> > > 	will be attached to unrelated PR database entries.
> >
> > As far as I understand, developers shouldn't copy the whole release notes
> > 1:1, but rather extract a short summary (that shouldn't include any
> > non-NetBSD PR numbers).
>
> 	when i attached a short summary, i get punished for not attaching
> 	the whole changelog.  what is the policy, and where it is documented?

I'm unaware why anyone would complain if you attached a short summary,
or of an occasion like this happening.  A short, concise, relevant
summary is exactly what is wanted, as laid out in section 11.3 of
pkgsrc/Packages.txt.  If you want, I'll contact you off list, and
we'll discuss the matter.

Thanks,
Alistair