Subject: Re: what is /usr/pkg/lib/X11/? And fontconfig using ${LOCALBASE}/lib/X11/fonts
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2003 20:09:29
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:28:15AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I noticed on a couple systems, /usr/pkg/lib/X11/ ?
> It is a directory tree that appears to be made by an ${OPSYS}.x11.dist
> using mtree.
> Does anyone else have this /usr/pkg/lib/X11/ hiearchy?
> What made me think about this was pkgsrc/fonts/fontconfig/Makefile which
> has:
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-default-fonts=${LOCALBASE}/lib/X11/fonts
> Which is:
>   --with-default-fonts=DIR      Use fonts from DIR when config is busted"

IIRC, this directory is used as the first location (but not the only one!) to
search for fonts.  Directories under /usr/X11R6 are always searched (as seen
in the configuration file):

Maybe those entries should be more generic and list lib/X11/fonts (without TTF
and Type1) so that all of them are picked up.

> Does anyone really have fonts at that location?

I guess that fonts will be installed there if you install packages providing
fonts on a xpkgwedge'd system (at least this is what should happen).  So if
you don't tell fontconfig to add that directory to the configuration file, it
won't ever know about these fonts.

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -