Subject: Re: problems with Solaris 8 and pkgsrc
To: None <>
From: Hal Snyder <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/25/2003 17:44:06
Ryan Cresawn <> writes:

> I've been trying to get gcc3-3.3nb5 to compile on Solaris 8 (sparc64)
> now for some time and I'm really having problems.  I will also add
> that I've had similar problems on IRIX64.  Each platform has its own
> unique set of problems.  My goal is to have a simple method for
> keeping all the software current on the servers I administer.  It
> seems like 'pkgsrc' is the perfect tool to that end, if I could only
> get it working completely.

Sorry, my SparcStation died recently - but I can tell you what works
on x86 Solaris 8.

> What I'm hoping for is that someone will write me with explicit
> instructions such as:
> 1 - remove all your homegrown Solaris packages
> 2 - install Sun's freeware GCC package
> 3 - set PATH to "/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin"
> 4 - type 'bmake install' in the "/usr/pkgsrc/lang/gcc3" directory

Here's what we did. Nothing needs to be removed. It's basically
following the directions on the pkgsrc page

We already had assorted freeware packages installed for gcc and gzip,
running out of /usr/local and /opt/sfw. All pkgsrc work goes to
/usr/pkg and /usr/pkgsrc. We created a pkgsrc pseudo user and group to
own the /usr/pkgsrc tree.

0. put /usr/pkg/bin:/usr/pkg/sbin at front of your PATH

1. from netbsd anoncvs, check out othersrc/bootstrap-pkgsrc

2. cd othersrc/bootstrap-pkgsrc
   sudo ./bootstrap

3. setup /etc/mk.conf -
   at least enable netbsd style ftp and passive mode
   we had to add

4. get current auto tools before anything else - including m4, perl,
   autconf, automake, and libtool - teck-pkg list guys warned against
   trying to use other perls

   cd /usr/pkgsrc/devel/m4
   bmake package
   ... and so on ...

5. install the gcc3 package

Et voila:

%pkg_info gcc3
Information for gcc3-3.3nb5:

GNU Compiler Collection, version 3

   pkgsrc is a huge advance for maintaining consistent server config
   across a diverse platform.

   Due to customer and vendor (hardware driver) constraints, we just
   added some RedHat 7.3 systems. With a little autoconf kluging (see
   netbsd gnats pkg/23263), we got pkgsrc going on these hosts as