Subject: problems with Solaris 8 and pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan Cresawn <cresawn@chass.utoronto.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/25/2003 15:26:03
I've been trying to get gcc3-3.3nb5 to compile on Solaris 8 (sparc64)
now for some time and I'm really having problems.  I will also add
that I've had similar problems on IRIX64.  Each platform has its own
unique set of problems.  My goal is to have a simple method for
keeping all the software current on the servers I administer.  It
seems like 'pkgsrc' is the perfect tool to that end, if I could only
get it working completely.

I'm not including a lot of specifics here because I need to know some
general information when it comes to using 'pkgsrc' on these
non-NetBSD platforms.  By the way, I do run NetBSD (i386) as well and
love it.  Also I've never had a problem with 'pkgsrc' on NetBSD.  So
the real question is why am I having such trouble with getting GCC to
compile?  My environment on IRIX64 is a mix of commercial software and
software from SGI's Freeware site.  I've used the freeware site
extensively and have a large number of 'inst' packages installed via
that method.  On Solaris the situation is similar though I'm grabbing
the source for the applications and compiling it myself, packaging it
with Solaris's 'pkgmk' tool and then 'pkgadd'ing the package to all
the Suns.

I've read some posts which indicate that having and using a mix of
both self-installed freeware and 'pkgsrc' installed freeware is likely
to create problems for 'pkgsrc'.  If this is the case, how do I truly
bootstrap 'pkgsrc' in a way which begins with getting GCC compiled?
My assumption is that having GCC compiled by 'pkgsrc' and removing
other build tools from my path is the best way to get all of 'pkgsrc'
working.  Would you agree?

What I'm hoping for is that someone will write me with explicit
instructions such as:

1 - remove all your homegrown Solaris packages
2 - install Sun's freeware GCC package
3 - set PATH to "/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin"
4 - type 'bmake install' in the "/usr/pkgsrc/lang/gcc3" directory

So, many thanks to anyone who can get me started using this wonderful
system on Solaris 8 and/or IRIX64.  Finally, if you could point me to
any previous mailing list discussion about this topic that would be
great.

Sincerely,
Ryan