Subject: Re: bash should depend on ncurses under Linux
To: grant beattie <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/22/2003 16:10:43
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, grant beattie wrote:

> there must be a better way, and I would advise against doing this.
> ncurses is a big, bloated beast which doesn't seem appropriate for a
> shell to depend on.

I agree it is bloated, but in many cases it already is linked against a
ncurses. (I already had to force my bash2 to not depend on gettext-lib and
libiconv too.)

It is normal. On Debian systems:
reed@sloth:~$ ldd /bin/bash => /lib/ (0x40017000)

On Gentoo systems, bash depends on ncurses
(DEPEND=">=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2-r2" and --with-curses).

On old (and new) Red Hat Linux system:

[root@www /root]# ldd /bin/bash => /lib/ (0x4002d000)
Which comes from the libtermcap package.

libtermcap used to be available from

Gentoo's libtermcap is based on Debian's termcap-compat source.

Also, some installations of ncurses include libtermcap libraries (and

Should we provide a libtermcap?

> => /lib/ (0x4001a000)

I am curious: where did your libtermcap come from?

   Jeremy C. Reed