Subject: devel/glib2 and libiconv
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Valentine <mark@valentine.me.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/18/2003 03:31:58
glib2 seems a little confused in its handling of libiconv, and I notice some
see-sawing of commits in the Makefile a few months ago which looked like an
attempt to address it which was then backed out.

I'm using pkgsrc on FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE.

Basically, the libiconv buildlink2.mk correctly results in the libiconv
package being installed; however, it also results in -liconv being added
to LDFLAGS, which seems to confuse configure into thinking the iconv
functions are in libc.

The resulting error when compiling gconvert.c is:

#error GNU libiconv not in use but included iconv.h is from libiconv

As a workaround I applied rev. 1.24 of pkgsrc/devel/glib2/Makefile back in;
presumably a better version of that change is needed which doesn't force GNU
iconv to be used needlessly, but I'm too new to pkgsrc to know the correct
fix yet.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*