Subject: devel/glib2 and libiconv
To: None <>
From: Mark Valentine <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/18/2003 03:31:58
glib2 seems a little confused in its handling of libiconv, and I notice some
see-sawing of commits in the Makefile a few months ago which looked like an
attempt to address it which was then backed out.

I'm using pkgsrc on FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE.

Basically, the libiconv correctly results in the libiconv
package being installed; however, it also results in -liconv being added
to LDFLAGS, which seems to confuse configure into thinking the iconv
functions are in libc.

The resulting error when compiling gconvert.c is:

#error GNU libiconv not in use but included iconv.h is from libiconv

As a workaround I applied rev. 1.24 of pkgsrc/devel/glib2/Makefile back in;
presumably a better version of that change is needed which doesn't force GNU
iconv to be used needlessly, but I'm too new to pkgsrc to know the correct
fix yet.

"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*
  -- <>