Subject: obsoleting libgetopt
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/11/2003 11:46:39
--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

Hi,

We currently have a package called devel/libgetopt, which (obviously)
provides getopt --long functionality for those platforms that do not
have getopt.h.  The following packages use it:

cad/ng-spice
converters/autoconvert
fonts/oto
graphics/ffmpeg
sysutils/psmisc
www/sitecopy

There are some PRs open that deal with libgetopt (22672, 23099), so
obviously it's not quite working the way it should where it actually is
needed (NetBSD doesn't need libgetopt, neither does Irix;  Solaris and
Darwin, where it's needed, cause problems).

Given that we have libnbcompat, which provides this functionality
anyway, I think we should just obsolete libgetopt and replace the
dependencies with dependencies on libnbcompat.

Thoughts?

-Jan

--=20
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2--