Subject: don't want --with-libintl-prefix with gettext-lib
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/10/2003 17:11:50
I was rebuilding some software and removed my gettext-lib and libiconv
packages. Many things broke. For some reason, my perl was linked to And grep to and ls to and so on.
(Luckily, tar worked so I could easily recover.)

Anyways, I must have built my coreutils with those in my environment so it
got linked that way. (I am using LOCALBASE as /usr.)

I commented out the buildlinks in coreutils and rebuilt it.

Then just for testing, I placed it back to normal and tried to rebuild but
the configure script failed with:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lintl

I noticed that --with-libintl-prefix was defined.

devel/gettext-lib/ has:

Basically, if GNU_CONFIGURE is yes, then that flag is added.

I think this should be improved some more, but I am not sure where yet.

I have glibc. It provides what I need (for most of libintl and libiconv)
so I don't need to link to those libraries.

I have /usr/include/libintl.h but no libraries (at least right now, but
even if I did I don't want to link to it unless really required).

How is perl and grep and coreutils linked for other non-NetBSD (or glibc)
pkgsrc users??

   Jeremy C. Reed