Subject: Re: add builder and build date to +BUILD_INFO
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/08/2003 16:46:08
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > What do you think about have +BUILD_INFO include a BUILDER field with
> > user@hostname:/path/to/pkgsrc and a BUILD_DATE field with the time and
> > date of .install_done ??
>
> sounds good to me!

Okay.

Should the date be in a parsable format? Or is date(1), ls -lT and
stat format okay?

(What about different locales?)

I think regular date format, human readable is fine. But if ever needed to
be checked, maybe a epoch timestamp would be better.

Any comments?

> It would be nice to start thinking about an interface to pkg_info(1) to
> retrieve single variables from the BUILD_INFO file, e.g.
>
> 	$ pkg_info -Q BUILDER,BUILD_DATE,OS_VERSION tcsh
> 	OS_VERSION= 1.5
> 	BUILDER= hubertf@smaug.fh-regensburg.de:/usr/pkgsrc/shells/tcsh
> 	BUILD_DATA= whatever
>
> 	$ pkg_info -qQ BUILDER tcsh
> 	hubertf@smaug.fh-regensburg.de:/usr/pkgsrc/shells/tcsh
>
> -Q for "query", with non-verbose (-q) operation not printing the variable
> name.

That sounds good too.

I have been working on a package information database (similar to Debian's
available files). And I thought it would be good to include the date and
builder in it too.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/