Subject: Re: pkgsrc as non-root?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Pierre Bourgin <pierre.bourgin@pcotech.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/07/2003 18:20:57
Jeremy C. Reed a écrit:
> On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Pierre Bourgin wrote:
>

>>So the packages built by your method, are they usable to be installed in
>>the regular way, I mean by root in PKG_DBDIR=/var/db/pkg and
>>LOCALBASE=/usr/pkg or are they only usable by the user used to build them ?
>

> No. Unless the admin gives your permission to write to those directories.
>
> They are usable by anyone (by using full path or setting the PATH).
> (Unless you make the files unreadable/unexecutable by others.)

Hello,

... sorry, I'm not clearly understand what you meant ( ... english as a
foreign language) :(

If I build a foo package as normal user "bourgin" in my $HOME directory and
so create a foo-1.0.tgz binary package, will I be able to install this
foo-1.0.tgz binary package on a another machine in the "regular" way, I mean
as root ?
No problem of who owning files and dir. for instance ?

I'm interested because I see (if I understand well) your building method
as a way to use to "builder" & tester package user (the no-special-rights one),
instead of building packages directly as root as I'm doing currently
(on my prod. server ...)

Thanks for your precision about it.

Regards,

Pierre Bourgin