Subject: Re: A small gnome-libs patch
To: Noriyuki Soda <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/07/2003 08:58:51
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> On linux (and Solaris and SVR4), "libc" provides gettext()
> and other functions of <libintl.h>.
> So, isn't correct fix to remove "-lintl" from the command line,
> instead of adding USE_GNU_GETTEXT=YES?

Yes, that should be right.

This is like my PR pkg/18885.

Also, in my diary of last November, I wrote: "devel/popt forces uses of
gettext-lib and -lintl. I removed patch-ab and lines from Makefile, so it
would build under Linux with glibc (which has own intl)."
This is PR pkg/19171

But it looks like new devel/gettext-lib/ checks this

Anyways, I think the reason I don't see this problem anymore with forced
-lintl, is because I have been using LOCALBASE=/usr for over ten months.

   Jeremy C. Reed