Subject: Re: libXinerama and libxkb{file,ui}, et al, lossage
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu.herrb@laas.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2003 23:18:47
You wrote (in your message from Sunday 5)
 > On Sunday 05 October 2003 9:50 am, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
 > [...]
 > > There is no reasonable way to fix this other than to build shared
 > > versions of the libraries, because the plugins just simply need them.
 > > RedHat and Solaris both install .so versions of all the libraries --
 > > and consequently, they do not have these problems.
 >
 > libtool would link against _pic.a versions of these libraries. I did take a
 > look at making the imake stuff build these, but gave up. I was hoping to
 > produce them with src/x11...

There is code in OpenBSD's XF4 to handle the creation of _pic.a libs
for libraries that are otherwise static only. It will probably go into
the next XFree86 release. Let me know if you want the patch.

For now Linux handles this by putting pic objects into the .a libs.
--
					Matthieu