Subject: Re: bootstrap should use its new bmake
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2003 12:07:23
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, grant beattie wrote:

> yes, please commit it. that is almost certainly a bug in bsdi make(1).

Mark V. let me know that it was now broken (after my commit) because it
was using libnbcompat from $prefix which didn't exist (and was not
installed).

My problem should be fixed with new revision: 1.78 of bootstrap.

Either BSD/OS 4.3.1 make is broken or a few of the Makefiles in
bootstrap-pkgsrc are broken.

It was automatically cleaning some directories after the builds, so I had
to use the new installed libnbcompat.

But then I was told libnbcompat wasn't installed. And I saw it never ran
an "install" target. So under BSD/OS, the native make was also doing
"install" (and "clean") automatically. Weird. Sometimes the order was that
the clean was before the install!

So I made it use bmake for building libnbcompat. It didn't install (which
is fine) and it didn't clean (which is needed).

By the way, I should switch the rest of the make's to be
$prefix/bin/bmake (other than initial make to bootstrap bmake). I only
changed the ones that were broken for me.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/