Subject: Re: missing .so files on BSD/OS
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2003 10:32:42
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> libiconv, libtool-base, and imap-uw didn't install .so files, but they
> did install .a and .la files. This is under BSD/OS 4.3.1.

I found that ltconfig checks for bsdi4*
I added to my

.elif ${OPSYS} == "BSDOS"
# XXX ltconfig checks for bsdi4*
# XXX maybe assume bsdi4 for BSD/OS 3 and BSD/OS 5 too
LOWER_OPSYS?=           bsdi4

Or it should be
because some other builds like Apache autodetect like that, but that will
probably break older ltconfig that don't check for bsdi5. Any thoughts?

Then libtool-base installed better. It is only missing one file now:
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/'

It is really

And libiconv had:
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/'

It is really /usr/pkg/lib/
/usr/pkg/lib/ and /usr/pkg/lib/
(notice 2.2.0 instead of 4.0)

It appears imap-uw now installed fine, no errors. But no...
it installed /usr/pkg/lib/ (and
but the .PLIST (and +CONTENTS) had /usr/pkg/lib/ and

This imap-uw has some CCLIENT_MINOR setting that appears to have been
ignored or used wrong.

(I don't know why there wasn't a pkg_create error at install time for that
one. Probably because the PLIST had a PLIST_SUBST.)

apr did:
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/'
But these are really installed as:
/usr/pkg/lib/                /usr/pkg/lib/
/usr/pkg/lib/              /usr/pkg/lib/
/usr/pkg/lib/          /usr/pkg/lib/

Since these are all similar problems (adding extra .number to .so
filename) -- does anyone know where I should look now?

Does anyone else use BSD/OS?

I know BSD/OS is soon to be dead. The final release is next month and it
will no longer be supported in 15 months. I am working on an article about
pkgsrc with a focus on BSD/OS with the plan to help current BSD/OS
customers to keep up-to-date with their BSD/OS systems before they migrate
away. And then hopefully, they will choose NetBSD :)

Thank you,

   Jeremy C. Reed