Subject: --host=${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM} forced to i386
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/02/2003 18:41:38

The LOWER_ARCH may be reduced like:
${UNAME} -m | sed -e 's/i.86/i386/'

I noticed when building glibc that the configure script for glibc detects
the systems real machine type (which in my case is i686).

And if different then it prepares for a cross-build mechanism. (It just
happens that glibc build has know bugs -- but easy patches/workarounds for

My fix for glibc was to also do:

So the --build and --host are the same.

With other various packages, I often see messages (from autoconf's
configure) saying:
  WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.

Anyways, my question is:

Does anyone else have problems with some software assuming a cross-build?

I should have thought about this before my PR 19789.
Maybe allowing i686 is okay, and get rid of the specific i386 checks (and
use i.86 regex checking instead).

Any comments?

   Jeremy C. Reed