Subject: prefer pkgsrc over base system (and force depends)
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <email@example.com>
Date: 10/02/2003 18:29:01
Several months ago I asked about a feature that would always force
DEPENDS. For example, I wanted to make sure my packages were built knowing
what there dependencies were, like openssh package should depend on
openssl (even if openssl was already installed in my LOCALBASE as /usr).
I'd like a variable, maybe called PREFER_PKGSRC, that would be used for:
- any time a buildlink is used, then skip any checks for native versions
of the installed software -- and always use the pkgsrc equivalent;
- then would always set up the DEPENDS (@pkgdep and +REQUIRED_BY)
This would be useful for a few reasons:
- ignore possibly insecure or out-of-date native software;
- later can remove native software that is out-of-date or insecure
(without breaking pkgsrc that may depend on it);
- known behaviour;
- any dependency checks looking in LOCALBASE (i.e. /usr) will be
registered (+REQUIRED_BY for example).
Can this already be done?
Jeremy C. Reed