Subject: Re: Proposal: unification of distfiles for FreeBSD and NetBSD
To: None <collver1@comcast.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/30/2003 16:58:18
[ On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 at 12:13:42 (-0700), collver1@comcast.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Proposal: unification of distfiles for FreeBSD and NetBSD
>
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 02:42:45PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Huh?  How do you figure that?  Distfiles come from the third-party
> > package authors and _MUST_ be identical no matter which packaging system
> > they're used with!
>
> That doesn't mean that NetBSD and FreeBSD are using the same version of the
> 3rd party packages.

Of course.  If I'm not mistaken NetBSD and FreeBSD distfiles mirrors
already have multiple different versions of certain distribution files
in order to support different branches of pkgsrc or ports.

NFS mounting the distfile parent mirror on on both a NetBSD and a
FreeBSD system and then running bulk builds regularly will keep it
populated with all the necessary files.  There are undoutably several
other ways of achieving the same result.

The only tricky part is figuring out when a distribution file can be
removed from the distfiles collection.  If I'm not mistaken though both
pkgsrc and ports have ways of generating lists of distfiles currently
"in-use" so it's just a matter of merging those lists from all
"supported" branches and systems and then removing any files which are
no longer in the merged list.

>  The distinfo file also contains checksums of the
> pkgsrc-specific patches.

Sure -- that's good and fine.  Sharing distfiles mirror servers has
nothing to do with the distinfo files themselves.  Each "user" of a
shared distfile mirror still keeps its own distinfo files (and
Makefiles, and patch files, and everything else it might have).

> Actually the distinfo files contain SHA1 signatures.

Only on NetBSD!  ;-)

--
						Greg A. Woods