Subject: Re: BUILD_USES_LEX and BUILD_USES_YACC
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/30/2003 11:28:28
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> > Where is tools.mk documented?
>
> It's included automatically. I think the code is currently
> the only documentation, you can find it in mk/tools.mk.
> Direct questions to grant@, he wrote it :)

I see some docs in the CVS logs too.

The other reason, I didn't think of tools.mk is that it used with
"USE_GNU_TOOLS=" and GNU was misleading at least for byacc.

Before I start working on this ...

I don't see (but I may be overlooking this), some way for tools.mk to
check to see if system's version really exists. And if it doesn't exist
then use the BUILD_DEPENDS version.

Since we have discussed two methods: tools.mk and buildlink2.mk file for
flex: which one should be used?

It may be nice to do:
USE_TOOLS="lex yacc"

Also, I am curious: will the BUILD_USES_MSGFMT be replaced by a tools.mk
equivalent?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/