Subject: Re: tracking freebsd/openbsd pkg_add
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/30/2003 16:54:59
Jeremy C. Reed [Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 07:47:50AM -0700]:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>
> > > arguments may be specified, each being either a file containing the
> > > package (these usually end with a
> > > .Dq .tbz
>
> NetBSD packages are not bzip(2) files (yet).

I suggested some time ago, that pkgsrc could have the same distfiles as
FreeBSD.

This is definetley *not* a bad idea, it would allow both BSDs to share
distfile mirrors (and, in the future it would reduce a bit the need for
disk space on mirror servers)

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/04/03/0014.html

... but it seems noone find it useful:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/04/03/0016.html

I *strongly* suggest, that we cooperate with FreeBSD in this area and at
least have the same distfile name (and subdirectory). FreeBSD and NetBSD can
be different in desing, philosophy and many other things, but it is really
pointless to have one distfile directory full of .tar.gzs (for NetBSD) and the
second, full of the *same* files, only in .bz2 format, for FreeBSD.

Also as FreeBSD is a bit more popular than NetBSD (at least here), there are
more distfile mirrors available.
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl
Resistance isn't futile, it's voltage divided by amperage