Subject: Re: Trying pkgsrc on Solaris 8/sparc
To: Dima Veselov <kab00m@lich.phys.spbu.ru>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/30/2003 21:43:59
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 10:45:45AM +0400, Dima Veselov wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> Since I described this problem here nothing happened and pkgsrc still mostly doesn't work
> on Solaris 8/sparc.
>
> Does anyone ever compiled this package successfully?

yes, I regularly blow away /usr/pkg and rebuild everything on my
Solaris 9 box.

> Compiling lang/perl package I get an error with ld
>
> [root@ perl5]$ type ld
> ld is /usr/ccs/bin/ld
> [root@ perl5]$ bmake
>
>         Making DynaLoader (static)
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.6.1 gcc -o perl -Wl,-R/usr/pk
> g/lib  -L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-E -R /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sparc-solaris/CORE perl
> main.o lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a  libperl.so `cat ext.libs` -lm -ldl -lso
> cket -lnsl
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- E

this seems like perl thinks you are using GNU ld, where -E
(--export-dynamic) means create a dynamically linked executable and
add all symbols to the dynamic symbol table.

I have not seen this problem at all building perl on Solaris. do you
have GNU binutils installed on the system anywhere? perhaps the perl
configure is picking it up by mistake.

grant.