Subject: Re: pkgsrc as non-root?
To: Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/29/2003 14:48:32
* On 2003-09-28 at 07:02 BST, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> Who's up for an unpriveleged bulk build? :)

Already doing them :-)  To be honest, there aren't *that* many places
where it breaks, and they are mostly during the install phase after
all the usual bulk build breakages have been shown up.

In addition to Jeremy's mk.conf, I use:

	ID=		/home/jonp/bin/fakeid
	BINMODE=        755	# work around broken strip(1) (hi SunOS)
	PKGDIRMODE=     02755

	% cat /home/jonp/bin/fakeid
	#! /bin/sh

	echo 0
	exit 0
	%

along with similar adjustments to SunOS.{pkg,x11}.dist, which seems
to work pretty well.

I've been doing unprived pkgsrc builds on Solaris for a year or so
as we don't have root on our local desktops, but I like to have lots
of additional software installed.  Depending on the demand for this
kind of support, it may be worth adding some simple hooks to only
install software which doesn't need root (e.g. I want GNU
ls/dircolors etc, but don't need su(1), I want ssh(1) but don't need
sshd(8)...), but most people who do this stuff are savvy enough to
have their own local bodges which work for them and are aware of the
risks.

--
Jonathan Perkin                         <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
BBC Internet Services         http://www.perkin.org.uk/jonathan/