Subject: Re: pkgsrc as non-root?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2003 11:43:33
On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 05:06:11AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Are there a bunch of magic variables to use pkgsrc either on NetBSD or on
> Solaris as non-root? Just to compile a simple program would be enough,
> this is mostly for letting some students play w/o handing out r00t.

I got somewhere with this a year or so ago, but then got given r00t on
the machine so it became a moot point.

Setting BINOWN and BINGRP (and friends) to the right thing in your make
magic file helps. This was enough to get bootstrap-pkgsrc working
(although one has to comment out the root check in the bootstrap script).

You also have to override the "Becoming root" with su check to get
packages to install properly.

Regards, Chris