Subject: ClamAV's clamd not working after db update
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@ReLink.NetWorkXXIII.Sytes.NET>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2003 22:16:39
Hi there,

recently I switched from Exim to Exiscan, installed SpamAssassin and
ClamAV (all from PkgSrc). At first sight, everything seemed to be working.
When I came home the other day, I noticed that there were about 25 Exim
processes running, and no new emails did arrive for hours. I first thought
that Exim failed in some way, but then I noticed that the problem was
ClamAV: clamd was still running but didn't seem to actually do anything
else than consuming CPU power (very much, indeed). Exim was waiting for
clamd to finish the virus check of the incoming messages, but since clamd
didn't ever report incomin messages as either clean or infected, Exim was
waiting "forever".

clamd, to which Exim connects via a TCP socket, shows this strange
behaviour whenever its virus signature database has gotten updated in the
background by freshclam, which is running in daemon mode on my system.
When clamd starts its sanity checks (every ten minutes with my setup), it
detects the new database and writes the following example lines to its
log:

Sat Sep 27 22:17:13 2003 -> SelfCheck: Database modification detected.
Forcing reload.
Sat Sep 27 22:17:13 2003 -> SelfCheck: Integrity OK

These are the last log entries. When this situation occours -- obviously
after every virus signater db update -- I have to kill clamd ("kill -9" --
nothing else helps) and start it again. Then everything works until the
next update occurs.

Does anybody have any clue how to avoid these manual restarts of clamd?

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
thiesi@NetWork23.Sytes.NET ---- NetBSD: Power to the people!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09 -- Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09