Subject: Re: Error code 1 without real error message
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2003 11:41:33
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I didn't provide much information, because I recall reading that
> something changed in how bmake reported errors. I read several
> messages about it. I wanted to know more about it -- and answers to my
> original questions.

There's a new feature in make(1) that makes it print *more* information
about errors.  When the new feature was added, it was the default.
Later, somebody made it not the default (and they did this without
public discussion), so now you have to use "make -de" to get the new
additional information.

I am not aware of any recent change that would cause make(1) to print
*less* information about errors, as your original question claimed.  If
it's true that make now hides some error messages, then it would be
useful to see what the error messages used to look with an older version
of make (before the alleged hiding behaviour started).

--apb (Alan Barrett)