Subject: Re: tracking freebsd/openbsd pkg_?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2003 05:09:45
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I like FreeBSD's "pkg_add -r" which basically sets PKG_PATH to include the
> system's uname -m and uname -r to fetch from FreeBSD's ftp server. (And
> you don't need to set any version in the package name because, I believe,
> of symlinks on their FTP server.)

I guess it wouldn't be hard to implement that, making -r set PKG_PATH to
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/\
    `uname -r | sed 's@\.\([0-9]*\)[\._].*@\.\1@'`/`uname -p`
(That's taken from pkgsrc/Packages.txt, Appendix B), then append "/All/"
plus the given pkg name.

> Also, with OpenBSD and FreeBSD you should use full file names or full
> package names including the version number with the pkg_* tools, or you
> have to use a wildcard like "\*". (NetBSD's is a little easier.)

Oh, they support wildcards now? They didn't when I added wildcard support
to pkg*. I haven't followed FreeBSD or OpenBSD btw.

 - Hubert

--
  ___ _ _  _   _        * Harddisk Image Cloning *
 / __| | || | | |           www.feyrer.de/g4u/