Subject: Re: tracking freebsd/openbsd pkg_?
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/27/2003 15:45:23
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Well, last June I posted pkg/21980 for the capability of using, for
> example, `pkg_add screen` or `pkg_add misc/screen` and it would find
> a binary package, or FTP/CVS just the appropriate pkgsrc (without all
> the rest), and compile and install.

I um unclear how "pkg_add <package>" does not work for you. Your PR didn't
show how to repeat it.

I have used that hundreds (thousands?) of times to quickly install
packages from NetBSD's (and others') FTP servers.

Did you set the PKG_PATH in your environment?

I do agree that it would be nice to do the -r switch that FreeBSD has (to
automatically do that part). This would be very easy to code. Any takers?

Also, the fix mentioned in your PR is a little difficult. pkgsrc is made
to work together. You can't update one pkgsrc category's package and
expect it to work. Because it may depend on code from other packages. For
example, it may use a Makefile.common from another package (and they may
be out-of-sync if you update only one). (Worse: it could install a version
that is vulnerable because the distfile was defined in an old package that
was not updated.) Or an example, just from today, it may use
mk/curses.buildlink2.mk but your system may have an out-of-date mk/
directory.

I guess it could be made to retrieve mk/ each time and every .include file
(that is within pkgsrc).

Or maybe if it is to grab it via cvs, then it could use only the stable
version of pkgsrc. (Then it would have fewer changes.)

> I know that others have this capability, so I thought I'd take a look,
> assuming I'm not tromping in somebody here's territory.  So, I asked.

Do you have any specific examples?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/