Subject: Re: recommendations for virus/worm scanning software?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/24/2003 23:53:27
On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 11:37  PM, Jukka Marin wrote:

> What's the data path?
>
> network -> sendmail -> mail.local -> procmail -> spamassassin
> ->procmail ->
> file

Essentially, though I use postfix and that calls procmail directly.
procmail calls spamassassin which returns the message with its analysis
inserted into the headers.  procmail finishes the delivery process.

> or...?  Is it possible to configure sendmail to feed the messages
> directly
> to spamd (is that what it's for?) and then to procmail and file?

Idunno.  Try milter?  AFAICT, postfix can't.  Some of the other MTAs
might, like exim.

> If you need to lauch lots of processes including perl for every
> message,
> I bet you need lots of CPU.. :-I

I wouldn't mind the delay (only about 30 seconds), but it just consumes
too much RAM.  Each spamassassin process uses about 16 MB on a 68k
machine.

Have fun,
   -- MW