Subject: Re: Stability freeze?
To: Ingolf Steinbach <Ingolf.Steinbach@jena-optronik.de>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/24/2003 18:20:55
On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:56:15PM +0200, Ingolf Steinbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in another message, I read about a stability freeze for pkgsrc.
> Apparently, this is not the first pkgsrc freeze. IMO, an
> announcement of scheduled freezes on tech-pkg would be very
> helpful.

Well, we've just come out of a PR closing week, which is one of
the methods we use to make pkgsrc more featureful. We're still
debating internally about when a pkgsrc freeze should start,
but when it does, we'll let tech-pkg@NetBSD.org know.

> For instance, I'd like to wait for the end of a freeze period
> before updating pkgsrc. Knowing that there will be a stability
> freeze in the near future would be a good reason not to
> update pkgsrc *now*.
>
> Also, tagging pkgsrc at the end of this freeze would be helpful.
> Or are these always identical to the netbsd-* tags?

The idea behind the freeze is so that we can get a good branch for
pkgsrc (we've tagged pkgsrc in the past, but moved to cvs branches,
starting with NetBSD 1.6 release, since the ability to pullup security
fixes to a branch was decided to be a good thing to have, and also
some fixes for the slower architectures are sometimes needed, but can
only be determined after a bulk build on that architecture, hence a
branch is so much better than a tag).

More as it happens...

Alistair