Subject: Re: I want X clients to install under X11BASE
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/24/2003 02:02:39
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> > Is there any pkgsrc-wide option I can set in my /etc/mk.conf to make
> > packages that have USE_X11 defined (like wm/icewm) to install under my
> > X11BASE?
> >
> > I'd like my X clients to all install under X11BASE (which is /usr/X11R6).
>
> We don't support this in pkgsrc since we decided '/usr/X11R6 is part
> of the base system, and we do not want additional files there'.
> Pretty much the same reason we don't install into /usr by default, but into
> /usr/pkg.

I was hoping that there would be some way to have a setting like to force
X software to go to /usr/pkgx11 or /usr/pkg/X11/ for example.

It is a little confusing understanding. For example, a comment in
bsd.prefs.mk says "Set X11PREFIX to reflect the install directory of X11
packages." And defines it to X11BASE (which is defined as /usr/X11R6).

And Packages.txt says "${X11PREFIX} should be used to refer to the
installed location of an X11 package."

These make it sound like X11 packages are installed to X11PREFIX.

(But it is not true.)

Looking in bsd.pkg.mk, I see that is really only done if USE_X11BASE is
defined (which some packages still use -- and Soren J. gave me some
reasons why in August).

> Why would you prefer files to be installed into X11BASE?

For the same reason the base system is done that way. It is sometimes nice
to have X-specific software installed in its own directories.

I am guessing that it may be easy to provide this. Maybe add a system-wide
option like USE_X11PREFIX.

It could be used like

.if (defined(USE_X11PREFIX) && defined(USE_X11)) || defined(USE_X11BASE)

when USE_X11BASE is checked before setting PREFIX and MTREE_FILE.

I'll try this ...

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/