Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/bmake
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/24/2003 00:44:35
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> >Two files that I need to have in a package are sys.mk and bsd.own.mk (or
> >maybe pkgsrc/mk/bsd.prefs.mk should optionally use own.mk??). sys.mk
> >probably should be part of mk-files or bmake. (bmake should have a pmake
> >symlink too since other vendors provide NetBSD's make named as "pmake".)
>
> mk-files provides a number of sys.mk candidates, and install-mk installs
> one if it can.  It also links own.mk to bsd.own.mk if its a non-BSD system.
> The boot-strap script that comes with resent bmake's uses mk/install-mk
> to do the dirty work.

Okay, that explains why my mk-files packages that I try to reuse are like:

Files:
/usr/share/mk/autodep.mk
/usr/share/mk/dep.mk
/usr/share/mk/doc.mk
/usr/share/mk/init.mk
/usr/share/mk/java.mk
/usr/share/mk/lib.mk
/usr/share/mk/man.mk
/usr/share/mk/nls.mk
/usr/share/mk/obj.mk
/usr/share/mk/own.mk
/usr/share/mk/prog.mk
/usr/share/mk/subdir.mk
/usr/share/mk/target-flags.mk
/usr/share/mk/warnings.mk
/usr/share/mk/yacc.mk

The problem is that the build of a package should be consistent. It should
not create significantly different packages (with the exact same package
version number).

Can you just force it to always install sys.mk file and a bsd.own.mk
symlink?

(What are the problems with this?)

Or the magic of figuring it out maybe should be done using USE_PKGINSTALL
and an INSTALL script which can also explain this to the admin installing
the package.

> As to pmake link - if you have a patch to do so - pass it on, or feel
> free to commit it.

I'll do the simple pmake link. Thank you.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/