Subject: Re: kerberos buildlink file
To: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/24/2003 14:59:36
	From:  Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
	Date:  Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:28:08 -0400

> We need a bit more than that to deal with Heimdal vs. MIT and native
> vs. pkgsrc.  We also need to deal with GSSAPI separately, since
> some operating systems, e.g. Solaris 9, provide GSSAPI only with
> no Kerberos 5 interfaces and hence must be treated differently.

I started to do this some time ago, but have never quite got it to a stage
that I was ready to bounce it around other people.  I've a heimdal package for
systems that need it (well I've built it on Solaris 8) and a kerberos.mk for
choosing between the package or an in-tree heimdal - haven't dealt with
heimdal vs MIT or systems other than Solaris and NetBSD.

> Some packages require the Kerberos 5 interfaces to build, and they
> should be called out separately so that they can depend on either
> heimdal or mit-krb5 being installed whereas others can build with
> just GSSAPI and so do not need that.

Are there actually packages out there that can build against the Solaris
GSSAPI stuff?  Any of the ones I've looked at want the kerberos 5 interfaces
around, or at least are expecting to build against heimdal or mit
implementations, which is why I ended up using heimdal on solaris.

cheers
mark