Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/bmake
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/23/2003 14:30:16
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, grant beattie wrote:

> > What about those that use pkgsrc without bootstrap-pkgsrc?
>
> that's probably "unsupported" ;-) incidentally, how are you doing
> this? :)

I should document this completely. (I do have my notes of the steps.)

I use a rescue boot floppy or CD to boot (like mulinux or BG-Rescue
Linux.)

fdisk
mkfs
mount new disk
untar several "packages" (including glibc) to get pkg_add to work
chroot to new environment and use pkg_add to install some more packages
install a kernel (I do have linux-kernel in my pkgsrc)
run lilo
setup fstab
setup inittab (but I will provide that as a package)
reboot and hope it is up

I have done this about five times. Soon I will get all my essential
packages ready and on a bootable CD with a simple installer script.

> > But I see you said "for now". ... so this is just temporary?
>
> I hope so. I'll talk to Simon and see if we can't merge the mk-files
> from bootstrap-pkgsrc. that will help with keeping bmake up-to-date in
> bootstrap-pkgsrc, too.

Two files that I need to have in a package are sys.mk and bsd.own.mk (or
maybe pkgsrc/mk/bsd.prefs.mk should optionally use own.mk??). sys.mk
probably should be part of mk-files or bmake. (bmake should have a pmake
symlink too since other vendors provide NetBSD's make named as "pmake".)

pkgsrc is fun :)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/