Subject: Re: recommendations for virus/worm scanning software?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/2003 18:23:08
Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi> writes:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 01:38:39AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > > I've been slammed with a ton of worms the past two days.  What do y'all
> > > recommend I use from pkgsrc to block them (using postfix)?
> >
> > A posting was sent to users yesterday with an idea for postfix.
>
> Is there any way of blocking this crap _before_ it enters our server?
> My DSL line is pretty much loaded by these messages (I've received
> several hundred copies so far).  I feel that if the message gets through,
> the sender (well, this applies to spammers, really) has already won.

It is hard. You can have your MTA software drop the line as soon as
you realize it is a virus, but that violates protocol and you might
not do it before most of the damage is done anyway.

I rather like the "filter in postfix header_checks" solution because
it is very low load on your system, but you do have to accept that the
viruses will still load your DSL line.

Perry