Subject: Re: Problems with php4-zlib-4.3.3
To: TLD <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/2003 21:40:26
TLD wrote:
> I have just upgraded from php 4.2.3 to 4.3.3 and php4-zlib does no longer
> work correctly for me:
> the pages are still compressed, but there is no more the header
> In other words, the browsers display plain garbage.
> I didn't change the php.ini file between versions.
> Disabling the zlib (zlib.output_compression = Off) works, of course
> disabling the compression.
> Is it just me, anybody else had this problem?
> Is there a fix?

I checked and it does the same for me. It seems enabling
zlib.output_compression=On doesn't send the appropriate headers
automatically anymore. Looking in sources, this is PHP 4.3.3
bug - please report to them if you want this fixed.

As a workaround, you can use this setting in your php.ini:

output_handler = on_gzhandler

This seems to work fine.

Jaromir Dolecek <>