Subject: Re: pkgchk (was Re: today's openssh version 3.7)
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+current-users@bjan.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/18/2003 13:03:59
--DocE+STaALJfprDB

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:45:38AM -0700, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:23:21PM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> > I'm suggesting automated fetching and installation of binaries, on the=
=20
> > order of (similar to other projects):
> >   pkg_update
> >   pkg_upgrade
>=20
> pkgtools/pkgchk

I like pkgchk, but the problem I have with it is twofold:

1) if one build dies, it gives up, often leaving tons of packages
   uninstalled, with no clear way of knowing what it deinstalled (and thus
   what you need to redo by hand)
2) it has the tendency to rebuild things many times. The last time I ran
   pkg_chk -au, I think I ended up building mozilla something like three or
   four times. I have > 400 packages installed, and mozilla as we all know
   depends on about a million other things, but its still very time consumi=
ng
   to build over and over on a 533mhz celeron. I think this is a problem in
   make update, not pkgchk, but it manifests itself in pkgchk.

It's been suggested that I somehow copy my installed pkgs and pkg database
to a chroot dir and do the pkg_chk there to avoid hosing what I have
installed, but I'm not clear on exactly what to copy over. Any suggestions?
I've got many out of date packages that haven't been updated because of the
it-takes-days-to-update-everything issue ;)

-Sean

--=20
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!