Subject: Java packages: source vs. binary (was Re: Ant package)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Heather D. Pfeiffer <hdp@cs.nmsu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/16/2003 15:18:39
The person we (Mahesh and I) are working for wants everything from
sources.  Why does distributed binaries not have the same .jar files
as what is produced from compiling the Java code?  Is it because
Apache Ant only gives the source code for the basic routines?

-Heather

Todd Vierling writes:
 > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Mahesh Chittur wrote:
 >
 > : I was trying to make package for argouml-0.14. In order to compile the
 > : argouml-0.14, i need the apache-ant package. But, the package present under
 > : NetBSD does not contain the jar file, (optional.jar) which is needed for the
 > : compilation of argouml-0.14. In order to build optional.jar file in
 > : apache-ant. I need few other packages like jdepends, junit, etc...
 >
 > Hey Java package folks!
 >
 > Y'all wanted an example of why building Java from source is not as good as
 > taking prebuilt JAR binaries where available?  "See above."  If apache-ant
 > came from the more commonly used *binary* distribution of Ant, Mahesh would
 > already have the full-featured optional.jar ready to go -- without having to
 > build with junit and all that other glue goop.
 >
 > I have a pending update to jakarta-tomcat in the pipeline that will switch
 > it to using the binary distribution.  In that vein, I strongly suggest that
 > pkgsrc folks consider using binary distributions rather than building from
 > source for all Java packages where prebuilt binaries are feasible.
 >
 > (There's a reason that nearly all Java package users download prebuilt
 > binaries.  Hint:  It's not just for runtime convenience.)
 >
 > --
 > -- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>

| Heather D. Pfeiffer               | e-mail:  hdp@cs.nmsu.edu |
| Computer Science Department       |                          |
| New Mexico State University       | Voice:   (505) 496-3502  |
| Box 30001/MSC CS                  |                          |
| Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003-8001 | FAX:     (505) 646-1002  |
| WEB: http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~hdp  |                          |