Subject: Re: pkg_install/libnbcompat on OpenBSD
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/16/2003 14:51:23
On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:10:53AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
> > You can't (yet).  Use of a non-pkgsrc perl isn't something that pkgsrc
> > supports because a non-pkgsrc perl won't look in the right spots for
> > pkgsrc-installed perl5 modules.  We don't (yet) have a way to say
> > "I only want the perl binary and nothing else".
>
> I haven't actually tried it, but I think the module's Makefile.PL will
> install it to the "right" place, and that the logic in bsd.pkg.mk will
> find that place and register it correctly. I'm just not sure that we
> want to encourage that. It's bad enough how pkgsrc competes with CPAN;
> it'll be worse on OpenBSD with OpenBSD ports in the picture.

Yes, you're partly right -- it used to work, but with my most recent
changes to perl5/module.mk, all perl5 site modules are forced to be
installed under ${PREFIX}.

I was thinking that the USE_PERL5=run case could be satisfied with a
system perl5 installation, but any stronger dependency would have
necessitate installing the pkgsrc perl5.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>