Subject: Re: Where did ap2-php4 go? Was: ap2-php4 creates a buggy mod_php4.so?
To: Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/15/2003 14:29:36
On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:43:56AM +0200, Marc Recht wrote:
> >I believe the intent is to move it all to be named ap-*, with the
> >appropriate PKG_APACHE_ACCEPTED setting in each Makefile.  See
> >pkgsrc/mk/apache.mk for more details.  This would mirror the situation
> >with Python packages in pkgsrc.

> How should situtaions where the distfile differs for apache1/2 beeing
> handled ? For example mod_python uses 2.7.x for apache 1.3 and 3.0.x for
> apache2. But, 3.x is a "real" 3.x, AFAIK there will be no new 2.7.x.
> Would it be better to not change our www/ap-python and add an ap2-python
> (or ap-python3) or change ap-python to pick up the DISTFILE according to
> the apache version being installed?

I think we would want to update ap-python to 3.x and create an
ap-python27 for the old (dead) Apache Python module.  Generally, the
rule of thumb is that the main package in pkgsrc tracks the latest
stable release.  The updated ap-python which tracks 3.x would list
"apache2" in PKG_APACHE_ACCEPTED while ap-python27 would list
"apache13 apache6" instead.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>