Subject: Re: how to get pkg/22589 looked at or committed?
To: Julian C. Dunn <lists@aquezada.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/13/2003 19:58:17
On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 12:35:24PM -0400, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
> Pardon me if I'm asking a FAQ here, but generally what is the procedure
> to get someone to look at a PR for a new package, and what is the
> procedure for getting it committed. I submitted pr/22589 a few weeks ago
> and there hasn't been any activity on it.

There's generally not much you can do except wait for someone to
eventually take a look at it.  We try to be responsive when we can,
but generally, handling PRs with new package submissions is a
relatively large amount of work compared with other types of package
PRs, so they sometimes get a lower priority on developer to-do lists.

> I've heard about pkgsrc-wip on SourceForge. Is that the generally
> accepted starting point to go about submitting new packages? i.e.
> getting it peer-reviewed first?

Yes, that's the best starting point for submitting new packages for
pkgsrc.  One of the primary benefits is that it makes the package
immediately available for testing by the user community, and it allows
you to field bug reports and fix the problems on your own or with the
guidance of developers on the pkgsrc-wip mailing lists.

BTW, "amavisd" is probably a better package name than "amavisd-new"
when you add your package to pkgsrc-wip.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>