Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/11/2003 23:02:36
On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 07:05:46PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Tue,  9 Sep 2003 11:00:31 +0000 (UTC)
>     From:        "Johnny C. Lam" <jlam@NetBSD.org>
>
>   | Check that the lockfile isn't stale from being left over across a system
>   | reboot by testing whether or not /var/run/dmesg.boot is newer than it or
>   | not.  Fix suggested by agc@NetBSD.org and simonb@NetBSD.org.
>
> This is really a very poor idea for pkgsrc - the existence of that file
> is optional even in NetBSD (it needs dmesg=YES in rc.conf - which is the
> default, but can be disabled) - the file name can also trivially be changed
> (dmesg_file=/var/log/dmesg.boot in rc.conf is what I prefer).

I can see another cause of failure here: using NFS mounts, I believe
one could start multiple pkg build on multiple machines (for example,
use a pool of sun3 to build packages). In such a case, the boot time
of the local host doens't say anything about the validity of the lock

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>