Subject: Re: php4-domxml segfaults
To: Charlie Allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/07/2003 09:44:42
Charlie Allom wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Hi,
>
> When I have "extension=domxml.so" set in /usr/pkg/bin/php.ini,
> `apachectl configtest` gives me this:
>
> 18:50 root@lazy:/usr/src/pkgsrc# apachectl configtest
> [1]   Abort trap (core dumped) ${HTTPD} -t

So yes indeed, this is caused by linking against libpthread.
libxml2 is compiled with thread support and thus brings
libpthread in. Once I compile libxml2 without thread support
and recompile php4-domxml, the domxml module loads fine.

The most simple solution would be just to build libxml2 to not use
threads.  Apparently libxml2 only uses it for locking, perhaps
to make it possible for several threads to work with same xml
structure. This doesn't sound particularily useful ...

How do we handle in pkgsrc this sort of thing? PHP4-domxml
needs non-threaded libxml2. I guess rest of packages
doesn't care whether it's threaded or not. It's not optimal
that libxml2 could only be used with threaded apps, however.

Apparently this was broken since libxml2 update to 2.5.3, when the
threading was enabled. Was there any apparent reason to do so?

Jaromir