Subject: Re: installing to / (and glibc)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/2003 10:37:16
On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 07:02:48PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Please share some advice on having a package install to /lib and /sbin in
> addition to LOCALBASE.
>
> As many of you know, I have been running Linux systems with most (and all)
> software from pkgsrc (including glibc, XFree86, Vixie Cron, etc.) for
> around 11 months.
>
> For my /bin and /sbin essential utilities (like cp, sh, rm, etc.), I have
> a meta package that DEPENDS on all my essential packages (like sysvinit,
> e2fsprogs, gtar-base, etc.) and then has an INSTALL script to copy the
> essential files. So then I have duplicates of some software. (Any
> comments? Advice?)
>
> I have glibc in my own pkgsrc too. Most Linux software assumes that a few
> libc (and a few other) libraries and ld-* loaders are in /lib. My glibc
> installs to /lib.
>
> Should I make it so it never installs to /lib? And just have the build and
> install go all to ${LOCALBASE}/lib/?
>
> I haven't looked at syspkg tools yet. Maybe they have ideas on installing
> to /.
>
> How should I do my PLIST for mixed @cwd? (Any examples? I have looked a
> little at qmail/PLIST and I see that QMAILDIR is in default PLIST_SUBST.)
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Last year we had a trawl through pkgsrc and changed all the packages
which had multiple @cwd directives in them.  They complicated package
handling, and we gained very little from the multiple directories
approach.  They were also inappropriate for some of the things we
wanted to do with pkgsrc.  Nowadays, if you want to have a package
install into two separate locations, you need to have two packages, or
make the LOCALBASE refer to a location common to both of the desired
prefices.

Regards,
Alistair
--