Subject: Re: RFC: Converting Packages.txt to other formats
To: grant beattie <>
From: Julien T. Letessier <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2003 21:41:04

grant beattie wrote:

>>I'm definitely against converting Packages.txt to DocBook, or even plain
>>HTML, because IMO it should be possible to read it with 'more' (or
>>'less'). There are other valid reasons against DocBook documentation,
>>but I think this one is the best.
> I guess you haven't seen
> I have some as yet uncommitted stuff to put in pkgsrc, which also
> builds text-only versions from the DocBook/xml source.

Well, the fact is, I didn't think of maintaining a DocBook documentation
and generating the plain-text version from *that*.

(scratching my head)

Anyways, the problem is solved. Except if Packages.txt has been changed
externally since the switch to DocBook :)

As suggested elsewhere, it'd be a good idea to remove Packages.txt and
commit the new docs somewhere, e.g. in pkgsrc/docs/. Or perhaps a
pkgtools/pkgsrc-docs package would do?

> basically, we've had this discussion before, and the work has already
> been done... (sorry) ;)

Don't be sorry. I still prefer ReST over DocBook for various reasons;
but what's important is that the work is done, and well done ;)

It's a real pleasure to browse through the docs with mozilla^W your browser!

BTW, one short question; what tool do you use to edit your DocBook sources ?

(and don't tell me it's vi)

Julien T. Letessier
Solarpack Project

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail & vCards

Key fingerprint = F1A3 C564 09FE 07A6 0327  7474 0F9F 5594 F657 9673

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -