Subject: Re: MAKE_PROGRAM and tools.mk
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2003 12:27:50
[ On Wednesday, September 3, 2003 at 18:24:04 (+1000), grant beattie wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: MAKE_PROGRAM and tools.mk
>
> that still requires us to make changes to any number of pkg Makefiles,
> which is the reason I decided against this approach. the decisions to
> use the appropriate tools should be made by pkgsrc infrastructure (not
> individual pkgs) to ensure there is a consistent environment and that
> there is minimal maintenance burden.

That's just wrong for some situations.  Some packages expcicitly require
GNU Make (i.e. they will only build with GNU Make) while others
explicitly require a *BSD make (i.e. they will only build with a *BSD
make) and most of the rest will probably work well enough (i.e. will
consistenly build the same resulting products) with any unix-compatible
"make".

The point is that in many cases the individual packages _must_ decide
which tools are appropriate to use.

--
						Greg A. Woods